The Importance of Prayer

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I was reminded about the importance of prayer as I read one section of the book: Come Walk with Me where the author, Carole Mayhall shared her story:

A few weeks after we moved to Portland, Oregon; I had to take a bus to a doctor's appointment, but as I reached the corner, I saw the bus disappearing down the street. I looked after it, feeling helpless and frustated. Then I thought, "Wait a minute! I wonder if God is interested in my getting to that doctor on time. is this something I can pray about?"  Well, it can't hurt to try... so on that street corner I bowed my head and asked the Lord to help me get to the doctor's office on time. 


As I opened my eyes, a car pulled alongside the curb, and a feminine voice greeted me. "Hi, Carole," she said. "where are you headed?" She was one of very few people I knew in all of Portland. When I told her where I was going, she responded, "I'm driving to within a block of there. Hop in."

I couldn't quite believe this wasn't simply a coincidence, so I said to my friend, "I suppose you go this way all the time?" 
She answered, "No, this is the first time I've gone this way in a year."


In the weeks that followed I reflected on why God sait to "ask...ask...ask. I want you to ask. Please ask." He wants us to ask because He won't violate our wills by forcing things on us that we don't care to request of Him.  When I began to talk with God about the little things in my life, my days took on another dimension, a new excitement. To ask for specific things and see Him answer in specific ways was a thrill because I learned more of the Father-heart of God and how He cares for me.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS